Beyond the timetable
We run different lunchtime clubs at different times of the year across different sectors of the school. The older pupils are actively encouraged to identify ways that they can serve their younger peers and so there is a lot of all age involvement in the lunchtime activities available and wide variety depending on the skills and talent of those running the clubs.
Examples of activities run in recent years include:
- Junior football – run by Senior staff and pupils
- Chess club – run by TKS parents
- Table tennis club for senior pupils run by Senior staff and parents
- Cartooning for primary children, run by Senior pupils
- Junior choir run by a parent volunteer
- Senior choir for students and staff run by a staff member
- Dance club – run by senior pupils for senior pupils
- Worship group and guitar club – run by senior staff for senior pupils
- Junior prayer meeting led by juniors from year 6
- Craft club for upper Juniors and Lower seniors run by staff members and ex-TKS staff
- Engineering club for seniors run by a staff member
- Jewellery making for seniors as part of DofE by a staff member
- Cycling proficiency for year 6 led by parent volunteers
Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme
The opportunity to take a DofE Bronze award during year 10 is offered thanks to the support and coordination of one of our parents together with TKS alumni. This character building training includes time volunteering, learning new skills, and preparation for an assessed expedition involving teamwork, navigation, cooking and camping outdoors. For more details see DofE website
After school clubs
There aren’t many after school clubs run by the school due to the distances many of the children travel. However, Engage, run by North Witney Community Church currently runs a weekly cheerleading club after school which many of the more locally based children enjoy together with children from other local schools. For details please contact Witney Wolves Cheerleading Club
Engage also offers holiday clubs from time to time and these are widely promoted through the local schools and churches including TKS.
The school is currently offering an after school Badminton club run by a member of staff for Secondary pupils.
Serving the community
The Secondary department takes the pupils off timetable for one or two days each year so that the pupils can serve the local community. With help from The Besom in Witney our pupils have gardened, painted murals and decorated rooms for individuals and projects in the Witney area. They have learned new skills and learned more about themselves in the process.
A typical pupil comment was “I have learned that it is quite easy to help other people. It’s just about me being able to do something they can’t do for themselves”.